Home Knowledge center Which different hull panels are used in shipbuilding and ship design?

Ship hulls consist

Most ship hulls consist of areas that have rounded and/or curved shapes. Depending on the type of ship, this can range from 15% (larger bulk containerships) to over 20% (offshore supply vessels, and fishing boats) of the entire hull. These areas can be broken down into specific plates that need to be shaped and specific forms.

Developed vs non-developed panels

All shaped hull panels can be divided into two major groups, the developed and non-developed panels. Developed panels are shaped in one dimension, by bending the panel along one or multiple lines. A flanged panel requires bending at one point of the panel and a cylindrical or conical panel needs to be bent on multiple lines.

Non-developed panels are those hull panels that are shaped in two dimensions, also known as compound curvature or complex panels. Physically, these panels require elongation (stretch) along specific lines next to bending. Typical examples of non-developed hull panels are:

  • Bulbous panel
  • Saddle panel
  • Twisted panel
  • Double curved panel

TIP: Searching for a quick answer? Give our question & answer section a try!

300+ installations in 23 different countries

Premium quality from The Netherlands

Over the years, Nieland has become the worldwide market leader in cold forming. We distinguish ourselves with turnkey solutions that include a press with full compliance, the transfer of knowledge and all other support needed to secure smooth implementation. All our products are designed and built in The Netherlands.
Contact us and let's talk!